On Wednesday, rape charges were filed against Indianapolis Colts backup linebacker Josh McNary and the next day the team has acted. Thursday morning the Colts asked the NFL to place McNary on the exempt list and the NFL has granted that request.
More from Indianapolis Colts
- Colts get trolled for new black helmet, looking like Duke wannabes
- NFL’s running back revolt has begun after Saquon Barkley drama
- 3 running backs who will be the next Saquon Barkley with contract disputes
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- Philip Rivers can soon play QB with a full offense of his kids
McNary, a first-year linebacker out of Army, has been a backup this season. He registered just 28 tackles in the regular season. He did register one tackle in the Wild Card game a couple of weeks ago against the Cincinnati Bengals.
In the police report that was released on Wednesday McNary when visited by police at his home said “I know why you are here”. Whether the charges stick or not it seems clear some kind of incident took place.
Per ESPN.com, the Colts said in a released statement on Thursday morning that “after reviewing the documents supporting the very serious criminal charges filed yesterday afternoon against Josh McNary, the Colts have requested Commissioner (Roger) Goodell to immediately place Josh on the league’s Commissioner Exemption list”.
The NFL was quick to grant the wish. This is the new go-to list for NFL players who get into trouble with the law. We’ve already seen guys like former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer, and Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy make the list this season.
The list apparently has been around for a long time according to commissioner Goodell. However not many in the NFL, the media, or fans had heard of the list prior to this season.
ESPN’s report also said that McNary’s attorney released a statement early Thursday morning that said his client “unhesitatingly” is denying the allegations. McNary reported to the police Wednesday night.
Well I wouldn’t expect anything different. McNary is now not allowed to be with the team in any capacity. In addition to not playing, he can not practice with the team or even be allowed at any team facility. He remains to be paid during this time.
McNary is in his second season with the Colts after spending the previous two years on active military duty after playing for Army. To replace McNary on the roster, the Colts have added receiver Griff Whalen, who had been on the practice squad. The Colts signed defensive end Gannon Conway to the practice squad in his place.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle