The Buffalo Bills might be interested in adding quarterback Josh McCown to their quarterback competition.
More from Buffalo Bills
- NFL rumors: Division rival could steal Dalvin Cook from Dolphins
- Bills RB to miss entire season after freak jet ski accident
- Bills fan hitched the luckiest ride home from Atlanta with Sean McDermott
- 3 best QB-receiver combinations in the NFL for the 2023 season
- 3 Bills who won’t be on the roster after training camp
The Bills are reportedly working on a contract to bring ex-Bucs quarterback Josh McCown into their ranks. According to a report by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, a deal might happen as soon as Friday. The Bills visited with McCown last week and are now pushing towards signing him. McCown has also had discussions with other teams, including the Browns (who really just want all the quarterbacks), Bears and Jets. There could be even more teams and it’s not known whether the Bills are at the front of the line in the negotiations either. However, the source of the Buffalo News story reportedly said that the Bills are definitely in the hunt.
McCown was the starter for the Bucs last year, but was cut earlier this month. He started 11 games in the 2014 NFL season and completed 184 of 327 passes for 2,206 yards with 11 touchdown passes, but also committed 18 turnovers, including 14 interceptions. McCown went to visit the Bills not long after being cut by Tampa Bay and he does have a history with the new Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman, as well as quarterbacks coach David Lee, and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.
McCown is considered one of the top quarterbacks available in free agency and he has been confirmed to have visited the Browns earlier in the week, but so far no deal. An anonymous source has also told the Associated Press that contract talks are indeed happening between McCown and the Bills, but that the Bills have a policy not to publicly comment.
The new coach for the Bills, Rex Ryan, is still interested in holdover EJ Manuel, a former first-round pick out of Florida State, but McCown would be in the competition for the starting job if he does indeed end up signing with Buffalo. Manuel lost his starting job with the Bills only four weeks into last season, but with Kyle Orton’s retirement, he remains the only experienced quarterback on the roster.
The Bucs are prepared to take a quarterback in the draft with their number one overall pick. Most reports have them leaning towards FSU’s Jameis Winston.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle