The Detroit Lions have brought back third-string quarterback Kellen Moore
The Detroit Lions are bolstering their 90-man roster as free agency looms. Today, the team announced that they have re-signed quarterback Kellen Moore. Moore was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Lions in 2012, after he spent his college career at Boise State.
More from Detroit Lions
- Former Eagles safety, Lions star C.J. Gardner-Johnson suffers scary injury
- C.J. Gardner-Johnson sounds off on Eagles fans in NSFW rant
- Lions trade for risky potential Jameson Williams replacement
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- NFL Power Rankings: Which teams will have the best rushing attacks this season?
Moore, a restricted free agent, has spent the last three years as the third option behind Matthew Stafford, Dan Orlovsky and Shaun Hill, who was the team’s backup in 2012.
It appears once again, the Lions will be keeping the continuity between their quarterback trio.
While Moore has yet to play in the regular season, he had a tremendous preseason in 2014, where Moore threw for 361 yards on 36 of 51 pass attempts for a 108.4 passing rating.
If Moore keeps progressing, he could perhaps take over the backup position behind Stafford. He will get plenty of snaps in the preseason to earn that role.
The Lions made their way back to the postseason in 2015 and keeping team chemistry in place is going to be important to getting back, so it makes sense to keep the quarterback trio the same.
Moore was one of the best college quarterbacks when he stepped foot on the classic blue turf every week, setting several NCAA records.
In his time at Boise State, Moore threw 142 touchdowns to 28 interceptions. He also threw for 14,667 yards and became the first quarterback in FBS history to win 50 games.
He is the NCAA’s all-time wins leader with an incredible record of 50-3.
Moore is an intriguing option for a backup and certainly has a decorated resume. It’s easy to see why the Detroit Lions were quick to keep him around.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle