Jerry Hughes and the Buffalo Bills are likely to re-sign.
The Buffalo Bills had the best front-seven in the NFL last year. After all, the main reason for this group’s success were because of Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Kyle Williams. However, one defensive end who flew under the radar in the 2014 NFL season was Jerry Hughes. Whether he just found himself in Buffalo or the coaching staff helped him, Hughes has truly emerged into one of the better defensive ends in the league.
More from Buffalo Bills
- NFL rumors: Division rival could steal Dalvin Cook from Dolphins
- Bills RB to miss entire season after freak jet ski accident
- Bills fan hitched the luckiest ride home from Atlanta with Sean McDermott
- 3 best QB-receiver combinations in the NFL for the 2023 season
- 3 Bills who won’t be on the roster after training camp
Well luckily enough for both parties, Hughes and the Bills are reportedly close to a deal.
According to Pro Football Talk, the Bills are near to a completion with a deal. At 26 years old, Hughes will be entering the prime of his career, and although he could likely be turning down huge money from somewhere else this offseason, re-signing with the Bills is the right choice for Hughes, as this is the place where he truly got his career going. With the Indianapolis Colts, Hughes had just five sacks in three seasons. Granted, he did play behind Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, Hughes had 20 sacks with the Bills.
Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News was the first to report the breaking news.
With Rex Ryan coming in to be the new head coach, it’s clear that the Bills are going to have a good defense. However, by bringing back Hughes, which will not be cheap, to pair with the two Williams’ as well as Dareus, the Bills will have the same front-seven they had last year. By re-signing Hughes, Rex and the Bills have put the rest of the AFC East on notice. Their defense is going to be real good again. Losing Hughes would’ve been a huge blow, but the fact that he’s close to a deal with the Bills is a great sign for the future.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle