Andre Johnson is one of the top free agents on the free agency market now that the Houston Texans have released him. There are quite a few teams with interest in signing him this offseason, and at this point in time it appears that he will end up signing with the Indianapolis Colts.
According to Zierlein, the Colts are expected to get the package deal of Frank Gore and Johnson. Both players would fill major needs for the Colts, and they would immediately improve the Colts’ already dominant offense. There are plenty of other teams interested in both players, but Indianapolis offers them a chance to compete for a Super Bowl.
More from Indianapolis Colts
- Colts get trolled for new black helmet, looking like Duke wannabes
- NFL’s running back revolt has begun after Saquon Barkley drama
- 3 running backs who will be the next Saquon Barkley with contract disputes
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- Philip Rivers can soon play QB with a full offense of his kids
It would be a very intriguing pickup for the Colts, especially after they announced earlier this offseason that they would not be re-signing Reggie Wayne.
During the 2014 season with the Texans, Johnson ended up catching 85 passes for 936 yards and three touchdowns. At 33 years old, he still has plenty of good football left in the tank. Houston wanted to keep him, but weren’t willing to continue giving him the type of role that he was wanting.
Assuming Johnson does end up signing with the Colts, he will immediately be plugged into the number two wide receiver role. Indianapolis currently has T.Y. Hilton as their uncontested number one target, with Donte Moncrief and Duron Carter backing him up. Johnson would fill that major void, and is exactly the type of receiver that will fit alongside of Hilton.
Andrew Luck already led the Colts as the number one passing offense in the NFL last season. This move will be an upgrade over what they were working with last season, and will make his job even easier.
Johnson and the Colts don’t have a contract worked out yet, but he is reportedly flying to Indianapolis to meet up with the Colts.
Needless to say, this would be a huge pickup for the Colts and a big step towards making a Super Bowl run. Ryan Grigson and Jim Irsay have been known to be very aggressive, and this is just another proof of that fact.
If Gore is also signed, then the Colts offense will have improved every weakness that they had from last season.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle