Free agent running back DeAngelo Williams will reportedly meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday.
If there is one thing that the Pittsburgh Steelers and all of their fans know, it is that the team desperately needs a backup running back that can provide some insurance behind current starter Le’Veon Bell.
More from NFL Free Agency
- Shocking reunion with Saints fan favorite finally made official after months of hints
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook could combine powers with a former rival
- NFL insider reveals the only way Ezekiel Elliott would wind up back with Cowboys
- NFL rumors: DeAndre Hopkins reunion with former quarterback off the table
- Dak Prescott is excited for Ezekiel Elliott’s next NFL opportunity, even if it’s not with the Cowboys
One of the players the team will reportedly consider is veteran running back DeAngelo Williams, who was released by the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday.
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Williams and the Steelers will meet on Friday.
Not only would DeAngelo Williams provide the Steelers with the much-needed depth in the backfield, but he would bring his previous starting experience to a team that may be without a starting running back for the first two weeks of the season.
Le’Veon Bell was arrested on DUI charges last year and he could face punishment from the league in 2015.
Williams is currently 32 years old and racked up 6,846 yards during his nine-year career in Carolina. Last season, Williams played in just six games because of multiple injuries that plagued him throughout the year.
In Pittsburgh, DeAngelo Williams would be able to take a limited role while still extending his career. An interesting connection between Williams and the Steelers is Pittsburgh’s quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner. During Williams’ collegiate career in Memphis, Fichtner was an assistant on the Tigers’ staff.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle