Rex Ryan comments on the shaky quarterback situation with the Buffalo Bills and who could be the team’s starter to open camp.
The Buffalo Bills upgraded their offense this offseason with the trade of former NFL rushing champion LeSean McCoy and the signings of free agents Percy Harvin and Charles Clay to help whoever wins the quarterback job.
More from Buffalo Bills
- NFL rumors: Division rival could steal Dalvin Cook from Dolphins
- Bills RB to miss entire season after freak jet ski accident
- Bills fan hitched the luckiest ride home from Atlanta with Sean McDermott
- 3 best QB-receiver combinations in the NFL for the 2023 season
- 3 Bills who won’t be on the roster after training camp
Buffalo also added a former starting quarterback in Matt Cassel to compete with former first-round pick, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor and Jeff Tuel and first-year head coach Rex Ryan says the job is up for grabs.
“It’s going to be open,” Ryan told WGR radio, via the team’s official website. “It’s a competition and whoever earns the job will be the guy that’s out there.”
“We have some talented guys and we’ll see what happens,” Ryan said. “You bring in a veteran like Matt Cassel. He’s done some pretty good things in this league. He’s got that veteran presence about him. With EJ back there just going into his third year I really believe EJ is going to improve with his fundamentals having [quarterbacks coach] David Lee here. I love the fact that he’s a gym rat and he’s smart.”
Competition is supposed to bring out the best in the competitors, which should be a good thing for Cassel and Manuel who figure to be the top two on the depth chart when camp opens.
Cassel has experience as a starter in the league and could be the preferred option of McCoy, Harvin, Clay and last year’s first round pick, Sammy Watkins, just like Kyle Orton was the preferred option over the inconsistent Manuel last year.
Manuel faces a make-or-break season this year and is running out of time and excuses to justify his first round draft status and contract. If he can’t earn the starting job this year, it is safe to assume his time in Buffalo is nearing an end and he is officially a bust.
Ryan is in his first year in Buffalo and needs to win now. They have the NFL’s longest playoff drought and after narrowly missing the postseason last year, he can’t afford to have a quarterback under center costing him points and games.
That’s what I think Cassel is the guy to beat in Buffalo. Who do you think should start for the Bills in 2015?
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle