The NC State Wolfpack pulled off the biggest upset in the 2015 NCAA Tournament so far with the victory over the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats.
NC State won at the buzzer in the second round game against No. 9 LSU and the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats are wishing that shot never went in as the Wolfpack just upset the top seed in the East Region by the score of 71-68.
More from March Madness
- Angel Reese thinks First Lady’s plan for hosting NCAA Champion is super lame
- Who won men’s March Madness?
- Watch One Shining Moment 2023 after UConn wins national championship
- CBB world reacts to Jim Nantz’s emotional final March Madness sign-off
- UConn national championship parade day, time, route details
This is the third time in program history that they have defeated a No. 1 seed, both coming in 1983 when they defeated Virginia in the Elite Eight and Houston for the National Championship. This is the second time they advance to the Sweet 16 under head coach Mark Gottfried.
Villanova has a recent history of early exists in the NCAA Tournament and the third round exit this year marks the fifth straight appearance in the Big Dance that they failed to make the Sweet Sixteen since advancing to the Final Four in 2009.
Trevor Lacey led four players who scored in double figures for the Wolfpack with 17 points and Lennard Freeman and Abdul-Malik Abu had double-doubles with 11 points and 12 rebounds and 13 points and 12 rebounds, respectively.
NC State awaits the winner of the Northern Iowa and Louisville game that takes place on Sunday with their Sweet Sixteen game taking place in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY.
If your bracket wasn’t already busted with the losses of Iowa State, Baylor, SMU and Providence getting upset, it probably is toast now after the No. 1 seed falls at the hands of the No. 8 seed in NC State.
How far did you have Villanova advancing in your bracket? I didn’t trust Jay Wright’s team and thought their 33-2 record was a bit of a fraud, but I still had them getting to the Sweet 16 before losing to Northern Iowa in the next round.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle