The Minnesota Vikings signed veteran cornerback Terence Newman.
Terence Newman has found a home after sitting on the free agent market without a team since the free agency period began earlier this month and agreed to a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings, according to NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport.
More from Minnesota Vikings
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook gives another status update on RB’s free agency
- Vikings: Jordan Addison issues apology after reckless driving charge
- 3 biggest mistakes from the NFL offseason
- Patrick Mahomes is picking a fight with the Kirk Cousins haters
- 3 best QB-receiver combinations in the NFL for the 2023 season
Newman, 36, spent the last three seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals after playing the first nine seasons of his career with the Dallas Cowboys after they spent the No. 5 pick on the Kansas State product in the 2003 NFL Draft.
Despite his advanced age, Newman managed to start 13 games last year and his 15 pass deflections were the most he’s had since the 2009 season when he made the second of his two Pro Bowl appearances.
The increase in pass deflections is also indicative of the number of targets directed his way as well as his 75 combined tackles were the most he’s had since the 2010 season when he 79 with the Cowboys.
Newman managed only one interception despite quarterbacks testing him often last year and he finished with his lowest total since he also had one in 2006.
There’s no denying that Newman has lost a step or two since he was in his prime with the Cowboys when he was among the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but at a minimum he will be able to compete for a job with the Vikings in their secondary and provide valuable depth.
And you can never have too much depth in the secondary, even if that depth is turning 37 at the start of next season.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle