After what was one of the crazier games of the year, the Stanford Cardinal have claimed the 2015 NIT Championship
The 2015 NIT final played out inside Madison Square Garden on Thursday night, and boy was this one a wild one. But when it was all said and done and in the books, it was the Stanford Cardinal that walked away with the NIT title following a 66-64 overtime win over the Miami Hurricanes.
With just seconds to go in the overtime period and the Hurricanes clinging to a one-point lead, Miami made a terrible mistake by fouling Stanford’s Chasson Randle and sending him to the line, where he would bang down both free throws and grab a lead that the Cardinal would never relinquish.
That’s about how the end of this game went for Miami, who was never really able to get the momentum back that they had in the beginning of the second half after they had it taken to them by Stanford in the first 20 minutes.
Stanford dominated the first half of the game, taking a commanding 32-21 lead into the locker room. However, aside from the end of the game, the final 20 belonged to Miami, who outscored the eventual champs 38-27.
For the champions, Chasson was the dominant star in this one, dropping in 25 points and adding in two rebounds and three assists. Stefan Nastic also chipped in with double figures, finishing with four points and 11 rebounds.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle